Thursday, July 05, 2007

HBE BRF DAY STAT (Happy Birthday United States)


fireworks
Originally uploaded by skweerell
First thing in the the morning, Ro busied himself making a birthday card for the ol' US of A with a picture of a President Lincoln with a top hat with banners on it. The picture looks more like George Washington with a top hat. He also wrote HBE BRF DAY STAT on the card, which is developmental spelling for Happy Birthday United States. Then, he cut up red paper into strips and distributed it all over the dining room to be garlands. Finally, he cut up ribbon into tiny pieces and gathered it all on a sheet of paper for confetti, which he tossed into the air after we garbled our way through the "Grand Old Flag". It was pretty funny. Roen was AMAZED the U.S. was 231 years old.

It was a rainy fourth of july. We didn't do much although we made it to the town's fireworks show. I thought we would be rained out. I have really struggled with Independence Day in New York state because fireworks are illegal here. I had so much fun with fireworks as a kid. It's hard for me to feel like I am having a proper July fourth without them but my kids have never seen or used them. So, I'd been casting around for something safe and fun for the kids to play with when it occurred to me that I could recycle the eggs from our Easter egg tree into egg "fire crackers". So, I filled them with confetti and painted them red, white and blue with lots of glitter. The kids were ecstatic about lobbing them all over the driveway. They are desparate for me to make more...and I will for next year. They are a bit time consuming and they get used up quickly. I'll need to make at least two dozen for next year. I only made 10 eggs this year. And, the kids loved them so much that they kept scrounging for larger bits of egg shell to keep tossing in the air.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home