Thursday, September 01, 2005

the carnival and the big pretzel

We had some friends over for dinner tonight, so we went grocery shopping this morning for fougasse (fancy bread) and salad fixings.Then, I spent the day being militant about containing the kids and their fount of messiness. It was a challange because Ro was in carnival mode. The "carnival" he built yesterday took up four rooms and a hallway and had tents, clowns and toys and jugglers, etc. He could tell me what each book, toy, pillow or blanket was representing. To the untrained eye, it was simply a disastrous mess of household items and toys. He was very sad that it was all gone this morning and wanted to build a "small carnival" so I let him create a small one for an hour or so. While we were picking up the "carnival", Ro told me that when he grew up he would be big and strong and he would eat a giant pretzel and mommy would be so proud of him. I was a bit baffled by the conversation and said I was already proud of him and he gave me a big hug and scampered off. Moments later, I hear rustling plastic wrap so I walk into the dining room and Ro had unwrapped the fougasse and was poised to rip it in half!!! I gasped in horror when I realized that's what the "giant pretzel" was and that I'd unwittingly told him to go eat the fancy dinner bread for the guests. Fortunately, I stopped in the nick of time. I couldn't stop laughing about the fougasse as a giant pretzel though. ah ha h aha. Miscommunication is funny sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home