Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Happy Halloween


jacks, originally uploaded by skweerell.

We've had a good halloween. Ro went as R2D2 and Sim was a tiger. We hit about 10 houses on our street and then the kids were tired and we went home and handed out candy to a few more tricker treaters. Simone kept saying she wanted to get "More Candy" after each house until the end. Then, she said, "I don't want to trick-or-treat again!" and got really grumpy. I'm not sure what part Roen liked best - the trick or treating or giving it out when they came to our door. He seemed to enjoy both.

We carved pumpkins of course. The kids drew the faces on and I cut them out. Simone had a happy pumpkin and Roen had a scary pumpkin. They were both sort of grossed out by digging out the slimey seeds but they both kept at it very diligently. Ro wanted his to stay in his room as his nightlight.



We've also had lots of discussions about the reality of witches, ghosts, mummies, skeletons and vampires and their origins. Ro is quite puzzled by mummies. They are sort of difficult to explain and I feel awkward trying to explain embalming and wrapping dead bodies to a five year old. Ro just doesn't understand why a child would want to pretend to be a cursed dead person and stagger around in all those bandages. I don't either. It's hard to explain why some people enjoy being scared and making up scary and creepy stories.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eddie said...

I am one of those people that enjoy those same scary things for Halloween! I think it's great your kids had such a good time ;)

3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I saw a picture of r2d2 on another site. Great costume. Joaquin doesn't even know Star Wars yet. He originally wanted to be a mummy a la Scooby Do, but changed his mind because on second thought, it scared him a little. I was happy he dressed at all! I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving. Cannot wait to hear about it.

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home