Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Mississippi

I keep forgetting to write about this...
Both of my kids seem to absently spell the word, Mississippi to themselves. I walk into a room and Roen is busily drawing and chanting quietly to himself, M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I.

Roen asked me what it was like when I was in school. So, I thought and thought about kindergarten and could only come up with impressions but no story. I could only remember a spelling exercise from second grade. The teacher told me to spell "church" and I said, "I'm not sure I can spell church but I can spell Mississippi." The teacher, Mrs.Bailey, told me I could spell Mississippi after I spelled church. I did both correctly. I told Roen I thought the word Mississippi was funny because it had PP in it and it was just such a strange word, exotic yet absurd. Anyhow, Roen found that story to be hilarious. It spawned his interest in states and places and maps. Mississippi.

If you've never read The Scrambled States of America to your child you definitely should. It's most fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home