Thursday, September 29, 2005

jesus saves

I've been trying to explain prayer to Ro. He understands grace and bedtime prayers but not praying at random. He was excited about riding the bus but has grown progressively more agitated about it. I picked him up from school once and now he realizes that he could get to school in mommy's car and frequently requests me to take him or pick him up now. Anyhow, I told him if he was afraid that he could talk to me about why he was afraid and I would see what I could do to make it better. I also told him he could pray while he was on the bus, which got us into talking about Jesus.

Ro: "Can Jesus fly?"
Me: "Yes, probably but I don't think he needs too."
Ro: "Wow! Jesus can save me and fly me back to mommy's house!"
Me: "Nooooo! Pray for courage and to be brave on the bus!"
(It turned out Ro needed something to read on the bus and that's solved the problem mostly.)

Then, last night, I told Ro we were going to the dentist this morning, which prompted Ro into an hour long weep fest.
Me: We're going to the dentist tomorrow."
Ro: Auuuuuuugh! NO! I don't want to go to the dentist!
Ro: Jesus save me from the dentist?
Me: "No, Jesus would want you to go to the dentist because it's important to take care of your body - including your teeth. He would want you to be a good boy while you're there."
Ro: (copious tears)

He was so thrilled when he got up this morning and it was raining. He thought we wouldn't have to go to the dentist anymore. So, he was quite sad to find out that dentist visits didn't get rained out. He did the exact same thing about his doctor appointment and then got there and was positively angelic. The same thing happened at the dentist. His teeth looked great and he was super good. When we were leaving, I asked it he was was still scared of the dentist. He said, "I'm not scared of the dentist. I love the dentist!", which made everyone in the office laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home