Sunday, April 30, 2006

I will show you grandma in a grain of rice

Simone is really fascinating right now. Her language is in a very literal phase right now. Instead of saying, "I'm hungry!", she'll say, "I want cookie in mouth." Another time, I was talking to my mother on the phone and Sim wanted to talk too, so she said, "I want grandma in my ear." It's very amusing.

That's all understandable of course but what's really interesting to me is how surreal she's suddenly gotten. She was eating dinner and staring into her food and then she picks up a single grain of rice on her fork and says, "Look, it's Grandma! Hiyo Grandma!" She then continued addressing the grain of rice as if it's grandma. She repeated a similar scenario the next day with a toothbrush she claimed was Lisa. I was in stitches.

We lost a balloon awhile ago and it's had quite an effect on this kids imaginations, especially Simone. Weeks later, if Simone sees photos or drawings of balloons, she immediately starts babbling about the lost balloon in the sky. Now, she's claiming other things are floating off into the sky too. I so wish I could perceive the world through her eyes sometimes. I know she must be worried that me or Roen or her teddy bear may fly off into the sky. Never to return. The associations children make between events are so fresh and strange. I'm always amazed when people ask me if I'm bored staying at home basically implying kids are dull creatures that should be left with a babysitter. Every day they do something fascinating. Every day, I can see why Piaget was so fascinated with their thought processes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simone is extremely creative :)

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home