Tuesday, March 29, 2005

The egg tree and other Easterness


eggtree, originally uploaded by skweerell.

The whole Easter experience went really, really well. We dyed eggs on Thursday and Ro was just beside himself with joy. He could hardly stay away from the eggs the rest of the day and he had to check on them every five minutes. I've always, always, always wanted to make an egg tree but never have because blowing eggs is terribly disgusting. However, I blew them all out with a little dedicated hand pump that I found last year and it worked really well.

On Friday, he was so excited by the prospect of the egg tree and the general wonderfulness of dyed eggs that he was up at 5 a.m. --- to see the eggs. He got up at 5 a.m. to look at eggs. It's situations like this that make me realize what a jaded adult I am. Anyhow, spoilsports that we are, we made him go back to bed. He wanted to take the eggs to bed with him and we said no. As you might expect, he kicked the wall for an hour before getting up again at 6 a.m. groan. Later in the day, we made an egg tree using a branch that Daddy cut from a shrub. It came out pretty well. I cut leaves out of pink and yellow construction paper to go with the eggs. Ro helped glue them on the tree and told me where to hang the eggs.

I also tried my hand at embroidery and used felt to make toys for the kids. For Ro, I made a Peter Rabbit toy and for Simone I made a flower toy. Ro loves the Peter Rabbit. I'm not sure how Sim feels about the flower. I think its a good car toy for her.

On Sunday, we did our egg hunt outside at Grandma's house despite the chill 40 degree weather, so Ro could run around. Also, I got the idea to label all the eggs, so Ro could practice reading and learn that he and Sim would be sharing experiences like this. He did great. He would read his name and put his eggs in his basket and when he'd find Simone eggs, he run to her and put them in her basket. After awhile, he seemed to get a bit weirded out that all the eggs were either for him or Sim, so he'd start picking up the eggs and say, "Grandpa's egg!" and try to give it to him instead. I might do a few eggs for everyone next year to mix it up a bit.

Sim really liked looking for eggs too. It was her first chance to toddle about in the grass. She would even grip her basket while trying to hold our hands and walk too. She looked super cute in her bunny hat. I'll have to post another picture of her.

Once inside, the kids opened their eggs. Sim just liked playing with them. Ro relished all the candy treats, which he doesn't get very often. We were all amused that he bit every jelly bean in half but never ate a whole one. He ended up with this pile of half eaten jelly beans. His favorite things were Peter Rabbit and a rubber ducky.

3 Comments:

Blogger ljc said...

Oooooo... where did you find the egg blower?

9:52 AM  
Blogger skweerell said...

It's called a blas fix (or maybe blas-fix). I think it means egg blower in German. I just remembered that I got it at Hearthsong, which does still have it. I think it's www.hearthsong.com

1:16 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

What a beautiful egg tree and I love your dolls, esp. Peter Rabbit. I don't know how you find the time! Also great idea about writing names on the eggs. Since Joaquin is an only, it might help him learn to share more.

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home